Great 15 minute overview of the role of Product Owner
- 26 Jan, 2015
Henrik Kniberg, Agile/Lean coach at Spotify & Lego gives a 15 minutes presentation on being a product owner. I love the way he condenses this information down into a digestable bit. https://youtu.be/502ILHjX9EE
Some key takeaways here.
- Your agile teams should be cross functional.
- Don’t get bogged down in manual regression testing. Invest in automated testing and continuous integration.
- Every story needs at least one automated acceptance test and unit tests on the code.
- Keep team morale high by using the velocity from earlier iterations or “yesterday’s weather” as an indicator of how much work a team is capable of taking on in a sprint.
- Guessing the “value” of a story is hard to do, that’s ok though. Even when you are wrong the real benefit is in the conversations with the team.
- Product ownership is all about communication which fits nicely with the agile manifesto.
- Reduce risk by trying to acquire knowledge. Use UX prototypes, technical spikes, and experiments to gain that knowledge.
- There should be a healthy tension between the building the right thing in building the thing right. This tension should be between the product owner and the development team.